10 Things to Talk About – New Year Edition #1

Welcome back and welcome to the 2013-14 school year.  We are already off and running.  Each week we will try to post an update of some of our adventures and learning that you can talk about with your student. 

1. Explorations classes have started and our 6/7’s are in Home Ec and Tech Ed.  The grade 8’s are in blended classes with the 2 other grade 8 classes on the Yellow Team and are in Art, Dramus, and a new exploration called Life Links.  More details to come over the next few weeks.  Our exploration cycle runs until October 24th.

2. We are currently working on Identity Projects in grade 6/7.  Inspired by the work of many other educators in our PLN (personal learning networks) – see here and here.  Students are working on a presentation about something they want to share about themselves.  Some are sharing a favourite novel series, some are sharing about their pets or favourite sports.  Projects will be shared on September 19th at the Open House.

3. The school is reading “Between Heaven and Earth” as our school wide read this year. We have started reading and the stage has been set for an excellent adventure.  We are looking forward to the activities Ms Trieu is arranging as we journey through the book.

4. All 3 classes completed their library orientations and are now able to sign out books from the library.  Ms. Trieu highlighted several new books to the collection and we are eager to sign them out.

5. The grade 8’s have started English with Ms. Abbot and spent the first two classes reviewing parts of speech.  There were many entertaining poems drafted to show their understanding of the different parts of speech.

6. Grade 6/7’s have started to build their learner profiles by completing a survey on executive function and temperments.  We will continue to develop our learner profiles over the next several weeks.

7. Yellow Team Name! is still yet to be determined but what a brainstorm has begun.  On Friday, mixed grouping of students met with each Yellow Team teacher to brainstorm socially responsible super hero characteristics, names, special powers and purposes.  Over then next week,  the ideas will magically morph into one name and one very super hero.  Stay tuned to the breaking update….

8. We have started French with Mr. Utting.  We are reviewing numbers, months, seasons, and days of the week.  We played BINGO. We also got to hit numbers with a fly swatter when Mr. Utting called them out.

9. Our first field trip is a Yellow Team swimming trip.  Permission forms and information have come home already.  Please check with your student if you haven’t seen it yet.

10. Some quotes about our first week in middle school:

“Best meeting friends from old school and meeting the teachers and the worst thing so far is the lockers and the crowds in the hallway.”

“Explorations – Home Ec is the best thing so far because its fun and we are making delicious snacks. I’m still getting used to being in a bottom locker and learning to work with the person in the top locker.”

“First week was a endless jumble.  I felt joy and sorrow but on the whole I enjoyed it a lot.”

“My first week at Hillcrest was full of surprises.  One surprise is how the school is like a maze. But I can find my way around now.”

“The school is really big and I got lost a couple of times.  I asked other people and they helped me find my way.”

“It was different than what I expected in a good way – I’ve met new friends and teachers.”

“The school isn’t as complicated as I first thought it was and its been easier making friends than I thought it would be.”

“I really like Explorations and doing Sketch Up in Tech Ed.  The school is really big and I’ve been using the map in my planner.”

“I enjoyed Explorations and the hallways are crowded and its rushed during lunch.”

“I was really excited that Explorations started, and especially excited that I was in Tech Ed.”

“It was really awkward and a little uncomfortable when we didn’t know each other.  But now its fine, because we all know each other.”

And onto Week #2.